1 cup unflavored carbonated water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup rum or 1 teaspoon rum extract plus 1/4 cup water
3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
2 teaspoons grated lime peel
3 egg whites
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup water
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup rum or 2 teaspoons rum extract plus 1/2 cup water
1 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
15 fresh mint leaves, if desired
Shredded lime peel, if desired
1. Heat oven to 350°F for shiny metal or glass pan (or 325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Spray bottom only of 13x9-inch pan with baking spray with flour.
2. In large bowl, beat cake ingredients with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour batter into pan.
3. Bake 28 to 33 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in 2-quart saucepan, mix glaze ingredients. Heat to boiling over high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium; continue to boil 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until glaze has thickened slightly.
5. Poke warm cake every inch with fork tines. Pour glaze slowly over cake. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
6. In small bowl, beat whipping cream and powdered sugar on high speed until soft peaks form. Garnish each serving with whipped cream, mint leaf and shredded lime peel. Store loosely covered at room temperature.