March 12, 2010

Chocolate Chip Mint Cake

In honor of St. Patrick's Day, we have a touch of green.  I sort of scanned recipes form the internet, borrowed a few ideas and threw them together into one cake.  The problem with this approach, of course is that, as I don't actually taste these cakes before sending them out into the world, I don't know how successful the result is until I get feedback.

I used a Maryann Cake Pan .  I don't know how the pan got it's name but it gives you a nice depression in the top of the cake where you can put any kind of filling you like.  I just filled it with a thick layer of mint frosting today.  You can use a bundt pan or a 9 x 13 cake pan as well.

Chocolate Chip Mint Cake

Ingredients:

1 box white cake mix
2 eggs
2 tbsp. oil
1 1/3 cup water
1 1/2 tsp. mint extract
1 12 oz. bag mini chocolate chips
A few drops green food coloring
White frosting of choice

Preheat oven to 350F.  Grease and flour pan.  Beat together cake mix, eggs, oil, water and mint extract.  Set aside one cup of batter.  Add mini chips to the rest of the batter.  Pour into prepared pan.  Take the cup of batter you set aside and add green food coloring to desired tint.  Drop green batter on top of batter already in the pan and use a knife to swirl the two together.  Bake for 35-40 minutes or until cake tests done.  If using a Maryann or bundt pan, cool cake for 10-15 minutes before turning out of pan.  Let cool completely.

Take your white frosting and add a few drops mint extract and green food coloring.  Frost top of cake. 

I had a bar of Ghirardelli Intense Dark Mint Bliss on hand so I added a few shavings of that on the top.

No comments: