March 27, 2010

Classic Carrot Cake

This is the recipe my Mother always used.  I don't know where she got it.  Probably the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook.  I like it because it is a plain carrot cake.  No nuts, or pineapple.  I love the smell of this as it bakes.  Almost sent it off with a piece missing ;-)

Ingredients:

2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 cup canola oil
4 eggs
3 cups grated carrots

Cream Cheese Frosting of your choice.  I used Duncan Hines Homestyle.

Preheat oven to 350F.  Grease a 9 x 13 pan.

Beat eggs, oil and sugar until well mixed and smooth.  Add carrots and cinnamon.  Mix flour, baking soda and salt together.  Add to wet mixture and beat until smooth.  Pour into prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes or until cake tests done.  Cool completely and frost with cream cheese frosting.  I occasionally use coconut pecan frosting and that goes well too.

No comments: