February 22, 2013

Seriously Good!

Today's offering is a recipe I borrowed from Mama B's Blog.  French Toast Cupcakes with Maple Buttercream and candied Bacon.  Yes, they are as good as they sound. I doubled the recipe and made 24 cupcakes.
 
 
French Toast and Bacon Cupakes
Author:
Recipe type: dessert
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
 
Serves: 12 cupcakes
 
Ingredients
  • French Toast Cupcakes: ¾ cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1½ cups cake flour, sifted
  • 1½ teaspoons baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ½ cup milk, at room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 3 eggs
  • Maple Buttercream Frosting: 2 Sticks butter, softened
  • 2¾ cups powdered sugar
  • 2 teaspoons heavy cream, at room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon maple extract
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Fry (or bake) up some crispy bacon and set aside (I used 8 slices maple flavored bacon for a double batch).
  3. In a standing mixer, combine the butter and sugar and mix.
  4. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Set aside.
  5. Add the eggs to the creamed butter one at time, waiting for each one to be fully incorporated before adding the next. Then add the milk.
  6. Stir in the dry ingredients.
  7. Divide the batter evenly in the muffin tin. Bake at 375* for 25-27 minutes.
  8. Remove the cupcakes from the oven and cool completely.
  9. Take about 1/4 cup maple syrup and bring to boil in a small pan.  Once it get's foamy, add the bacon bits and stir until the mixture is sticky.  Watch carefully or the bacon will burn!  Spread the bacon bits on a nonstick sheet and let cool.
  10. For the frosting: Mix all 4 ingredients together. Beat on high speed until fluffy.
  11. Frost your cupcakes and cover them with crispy bacon pieces.

1 comment:

friv said...

This last is one great dish. see it add me die la diamond whip I promise you that I've never reviewed a restaurant on Yelp, fought with someone on YouTube, re-Tweeted a pic of a hot chic with her mammary glands busting out the seams, shared a link or anything of the sort, I'm simply too lazy or I don't care enough. BUT, after finding myself on your page whenever I have free time and eagerly awaiting a new blog posting I feel compelled to breakout of my digital laziness just to say thank you. I appreciate the wealth of information that you're sharing, in fact the Sniper community appreciates it. Whether it's a blog entry or a comment you post on McCarterBrown, you always bring a sense of knowledge and know-how to the table. As a new Sniper I can always count on having my various questions answered simply by digging through the archives of your blog and for that I thank you. Should we ever meet on the field you can count on me for a free beer and a chicken sandwich with waffle fries... Thanks bro! Friv kogama