French Toast and Bacon Cupakes
Author: Mama B
Recipe type: dessert
Serves: 12 cupcakes
- French Toast Cupcakes: ¾ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1½ cups cake flour, sifted
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- Maple Buttercream Frosting: 2 Sticks butter, softened
- 2¾ cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons heavy cream, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon maple extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Fry (or bake) up some crispy bacon and set aside (I used 8 slices maple flavored bacon for a double batch).
- In a standing mixer, combine the butter and sugar and mix.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Add the eggs to the creamed butter one at time, waiting for each one to be fully incorporated before adding the next. Then add the milk.
- Stir in the dry ingredients.
- Divide the batter evenly in the muffin tin. Bake at 375* for 25-27 minutes.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and cool completely.
- Take about 1/4 cup maple syrup and bring to boil in a small pan. Once it get's foamy, add the bacon bits and stir until the mixture is sticky. Watch carefully or the bacon will burn! Spread the bacon bits on a nonstick sheet and let cool.
- For the frosting: Mix all 4 ingredients together. Beat on high speed until fluffy.
- Frost your cupcakes and cover them with crispy bacon pieces.